Displays and Distribution of Material Policy
Adopted July 2011
The Boulder Junction Public Library provides designated boards and space for use by the public for announcements and notices of local community events and notices of public concern or for distribution of free materials. This service is in keeping with the Library’s overall philosophy of providing information to library users about events or services of a cultural, educational or community nature.
1. All notices, posters and free literature must be approved by and placed on the bulletin board by library staff, space permitting. Staff may discard items not approved for placement. The items must be professionally printed or neatly hand printed and no larger than 11 by 17 inches. The bulletin board in the community center entryway is the property of the town and follows town guidelines.
2. Announcements for upcoming events may not be posted earlier than 30 days prior to the event. Items will be posted or made available on an equitable basis, regardless of beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups, subject to available space and geographic relevance to the community. The library staff will discard announcements after the event.
3. Religious and political materials/flyers are only permissible to advertise meetings and/or special events.
4. Library notices, posters and literature take precedence over other users.
5. The following are NOT permitted:
- Legal notices
- Rental announcements
- Notice of merchandise or services for sale from a profit-making business
- Postings of political party platforms, endorsements of candidates or notices advocating the election of any candidate or referendum position.
- Postings advocating a position on a public issue, except for notices of meetings.
- Notices or advertisements to recruit membership in any organization.
- Personal notices such as rummage sales, lost pets, merchandise or services for sale, rental announcements, etc.
- Religious or political materials which have the primary purpose or effect to proselytize for a single point of view.
6. The library reserves the right to decide if a display, posting or handout is appropriate according to this policy. All items are subject to the approval of the library director or a designee of the director. Anyone may appeal and disapproval or condition of approval to the Library Board of Trustees. The decision of the Library Board of Trustees is final.
7. The presentation of any display, posting or handout does not imply an endorsement of the content by the Boulder Junction Public Library, its Trustees or staff. Each display should have contact information for the responsible person or group.