Public Records Policy
Revised November 2015
The Boulder Junction Public Library is committed to the principles of Wisconsin’s Public Records Law (Wisconsin Statutes 19), which provides that almost all records of state and local government, including those of public libraries, must be available for inspection and/or copying by the public.
1. The records of the Boulder Junction Public Library are housed in the library office at 5392 Park Street, Boulder Junction, Wisconsin, 54512.
2. Individuals may request access to or a copy of public records during regular posted library hours. The request does not need to be in writing.
3. Access to records must be allowed as promptly as practical. Records not readily accessible shall be made available for public inspection within 2 (two) business days of receipt of written or oral request. Copies of public records shall be produced as promptly as practical without disrupting the regular work flow of the library or taking the Director away from her required daily duties.
4. The Boulder Junction Public Library Board of Trustees designates the Boulder Junction Public Library Director as legal custodian of all library records. The legal custodian must designate one or more deputy custodians to act in his/her absence.
5. Boulder Junction Public Library staff and volunteers should refer all requests for access to Boulder Junction Public Library records to the legal custodian or one of the deputy custodians.
6. The Boulder Junction Public Library may impose a fee upon the requestor of a copy of a public record. However, the fee may not exceed the actual, necessary and direct cost of complying with a public records request, including locating, reproducing, transcribing, photographing, mailing and/or shipping a copy of a record to the requestor (Wisconsin State Statutes 19.34(3)(a-f).
- The Boulder Junction Public Library will charge a location fee limited to the actual, necessary, and direct cost of locating a record if the cost is more than $50. The Boulder Junction Public Library calculates the location cost for a record by multiplying the number of hours needed to locate the record times the hourly pay rate, including benefits, of the Library Director or the Assistant Librarian (whoever actually locates the record).
- The Boulder Junction Public Library will charge the current posted copy fee for copying records.
- The Boulder Junction Public Library will charge the actual cost of transcribing and/or photographing a record.
- The Boulder Junction Public Library will charge the actual cost of mailing and/or shipping a record to the requester.
- The Boulder Junction Public Library may require prepayment of a fee, but only if the total amount exceeds $5.00 (Wisconsin State Statutes 19.35 (3)(c,f).
7. Any record produced for an individual that contains patron information in addition to public information must first be edited to remove any personally identifiable information, such as a patron’s name, address or telephone number.
8. The Public Records Law does not apply to staff notes, drafts and similar items prepared for staff use; personal property having no relation to the owner’s public office; or material to which access is limited by copyright, patent or bequest.